American Born Chinese

For this week I read Gene Luen Yang’s comic, American Born Chinese. I was very surprised when I reached the end. It’s interesting to see how the author started three stories that seemed unrelated to each other and brought all of them together at the end. Every character was related. The idea was so cool. And how the artist adapted the story of the Monkey King and fit the character into his own story is really special.

Despite the story going magical in the end (because I didn’t think the three storylines are related), and it kind of exaggerated people’s behavior, it was fairly realistic. I’ve been studying in the US for seven years. I have learned one of the most important things through these years is “be yourself”. And this is what the author wanted to tell the reader through the story. You don’t have to change yourself into someone else to fit the environment. Although sometimes it’s hard, such as the school where Jin was at. People were so mean there. A true friend won’t care about where you from, or whether you look different.

Comments

  1. I like how you pointed out that the three different stories all came together into one. I think in the end, the two stories all became symbolism to help the main character find his true identity. I definitely agree with you that the most important part is to be yourself and to accept and be proud of your culture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts